*This was written in 2011*
I am in my 30s, married, with daughter who was 3 in January and another who was born August 13th 2010. My husband works obsessively, but HAS gotten better since Samantha was born. I have the best dog ever, a Golden Retriever named Kabo. We also call him The Fonz. I live in an area that I really don't like, away from my college hometown, parents, and friends. But I am getting better about coming to terms with the fact that I'll probably live here for the rest of my life. I am an extremely laid back person, and really don't understand high-strung, tightly-wound, people who obsess and stress over things that I don't. I've written 50 things about me below...have fun learning all about me!!
1. Before I got married, I didn’t have a middle name. When I got married, I made my maiden name my middle name. My older sister claims I was traumatized by not having a middle name growing up, but I just saw it as a way to get attention.
2. I think my Golden Retriever is the best dog that ever lived. So much so that he has ruined all other Goldens for me now and I don’t think my next dog can be a Golden Retriever. (update: My new dog is a Flat-Coat Retriever. Goldens were bred down from Flat-Coats. The more I learn about them, the more I think that Kabo is just a blond Flat-Coat.)
3. I have a daughter, Samantha. She was born on January 8th 2009. I have another daughter, Charlotte, who was born on Friday the 13th. We call them Sam & Charlie.
4. Most of the time I feel as though I am a terrible wife, only occasionally will I think that I am a good one. I'm working on that though.
5. I’ve never broken a bone, or had stitches, or had to go to the hospital for anything other than giving birth.
6. The first time I drove a moped I wrecked and sort of flipped over the front, and felt like a total idiot.
7. I used to be the master at killing time. However, lately I have been much better about actually doing something rather than just sit on the couch and watch TV.
8. I am pretty sure that I am the reason facebook got blocked at work. Fortunately for everyone, it is now unblocked. I'm still too nervous to go on it though.
9. The first time I saw my husband he was puking out his bedroom window, which was luckily on the first floor. He was still nice and said hello.
10. I'm on medication for depression. It also helps with a possible undiagnosed ADD issue as well. It is amazing the difference the right medicine can make.
11. My first dog was Black Sheep, a black lab. Then my in-laws got Buster, a chocolate lab. Neither one would come when called. Our friends had a Golden Retriever, Colby. You could tell Colby to go home and he would. That is why I got a Golden Retriever.
12. My stripper name is Black Sheep Woodcliff. That is only one of the reasons I am not a stripper.
13. I weigh 30lbs more than I would like. I have yet to do anything to try and lose it, but I plan to in the future.
14. I sucked my thumb until I was 9. I have an overbite to prove it.
15. When I was pregnant, I thought I was having a boy. I was terrified of having a girl with red hair. God is laughing at me right now.
16. I love my little red-headed girls. Update: I now have THREE! Penelope was born in May 2014.
17. I don’t handle stress well. I tend to yell.
18. I actually really hate having two dogs. It is so.much.more work.
19. When I was little, I had a huge crush on the boy next door. When I was in college, he was killed in a car accident.
20. I went to a Catholic high school and loved wearing uniforms.
21. I have lost my wedding rings, and the ring that my husband gave to me on my 21st birthday. I'm still in denial about this and haven't filed an insurance claim yet.
22. I’ve been known to be brutally honest. Don’t hate me for it. I’m working on just keeping my mouth shut. It's not working very well.
23. I tend to talk a lot when I drink. This does not bode well for #22.
24. I’ll karaoke the song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" after at least 5 beers. I’m awesome at it.
25. I am really bad about procrastinating. Or, if you look at it another way, I am really great at procrastinating.
26. I love the snow. That being said, by February I am ready for 90 degree weather.
27. I wish I could live in Chicago during the warm months of the year, but just for a couple of years, and if money was no object.
28. I love making lists.
29. My first English class in college, I wrote a descriptive essay about my first car. My professor read it aloud to the class. When I moved out of the dorm that year, I threw it away because I was afraid my parents would find it and read it. I regret doing that.
30. I like beer and wine and good rum, but not vodka. Or tequila.
31. I have “mommy guilt” constantly. The medication has really helped with this. I AM a good mom, damnit.
32. My husband works a lot, and if he didn’t, I think we would kill each other.
33. I play with my hair a lot, and rub my fingernail so much that it gets really shiny. It is a side effect of anxiety...self-diagnosed, of course.
34. I set goals for myself and then don’t achieve them. I used to say that didn't really bother me all that much. That is horseshit.
35. I’ve gone to therapy a couple of times, but I got bored with it and quit. I have a new therapist that I am determined not to give up on.
36. I think most people in America need some sort of professional help.
37. I went to a funeral on my 30th birthday.
38. When I was little, I would go to visit my grandparents on their farm. I still wish I could do that.
39. I am the youngest of 27 grandchildren on my mother’s side. My husband is the 3rd youngest of 18…I win! (both of those families are Catholic-go figure)
40. I went to Switzerland once and didn’t really like it. I went to Mexico twice and hated it. We went to London three years ago and I loved it.
41. I would be a vegetarian if I didn’t love meat and hate vegetables so much.
42. I've recently started using Peapod. It is a grocery delivery service. It is God's gift to working moms.
43. I tend to know a little about a lot of things. And I am all too willing to share my opinion about anything. Just ask me!
44. I lived in Florida once for 4 months.
45. I really love TV. How I Met Your Mother, Parenthood, Criminal Minds, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, NCIS…the list goes on and on and on. BUT, I generally can’t handle terrible reality shows about celebrities in more than 10 second bursts.
46. I have season tickets to Purdue football. For the past few seasons, I barely make it to halftime before going back out to the tailgate to drink more. Tailgating on a crisp fall day is one of my joys in life.
47. I will watch the same movie from the 80s three days in a row as opposed to watching a new movie that I might not like. In fact, we got Netflix recently and I have yet to find a movie on there that I haven't seen that I want to watch.
48. The only kind of pie I like is chocolate. But I LOVELOVELOVE Dairy Queen ice cream cake.
49. I am an accountant, don't have my CPA, and have absolutely no desire to get it.
50. I didn't know how hard being a mom can be. Stay-at-home, working, part-timer, it doesn't matter. It is really fucking hard, in ways that you can't describe, but will fully understand once you experience it. And single moms are superheros.