Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Karma's Going to be a Bitch (in about 13 years)

It’s no secret to anyone who has ever slept in the same building as me that I am not a morning person. I never have been…I remember as a kid one day waking up to see my sister’s friend who was our neighbor standing in our bedroom. I couldn’t understand why she was there, until she was like, “The bus is going to be here in 15 minutes!” I think I spent 5 of those minutes bargaining with my mother, trying to either get out of school or have her take us. I don’t remember how we got there, but we DEFINITELY went to school.

Workaholic is somewhat of a morning person. He rarely gets enough sleep, so waking up for him is extremely difficult. But once he is up, he is all happy, chatty, and generally really quite annoying. I would prefer if no one spoke to me before noon, and sometimes actually get angry when people say good morning to me. He has learned this…sort of.

For example, this morning I hit snooze for about an hour. When I finally did get out of bed, it was to go downstairs to get a bottle so I could pump. I climbed the stairs (slowly, because I wakeboarded for about 90 seconds on Sunday and am severely paying for it) back up to my bedroom and lay down on the bed to do my motherly duty. I didn’t turn on the TV, because I just didn’t feel like hearing any noise. Workaholic comes out of the bathroom (where he has the TV and fan on) and is like, “Hey Sweetie!! Good morning!! Why don’t you turn on the TV?!” I have learned over the years to not react violently (as is my natural reaction) to his happiness, as that usually just causes a fight. Instead I just close my eyes and say, “Good morning, because I don’t want to hear any loudness.” He gets the hint and leaves me alone.

Samantha is, oddly enough, quite the morning person. I have actually seen her wake up with a smile on her face. We are, however, being the responsible parents that we are, teaching her the value of the snooze button, in the form of a pacifier. I have this fear that she will not get enough sleep, and be one of “those children” that cries all the time. It is a somewhat irrational fear, as she LOVES to sleep. Generally, she gets at least 9 hours of sleep at night, and then at least 4 hours during the day. I prefer for her to get at least 10-12 at night, and then 3-4 during the day…she seems to be in a better mood. So this morning, when she woke at 7am, I popped the pacifier back in her mouth. She went to bed at 9, but I was running late, and if she’ll go back to sleep, then she needs more sleep, right? Around 7:45, Workaholic heard her crying and went to get her up. She full on smiled at him, accepted the pacifier, and then closed her eyes and went back to sleep. This happens on the weekends too, where she’ll wake up and we “convince” her to sleep for a few more hours. (which…last Friday night, wound up being 15 hours total….she’s already acting like a teenager!!) A girl after my own heart…which means she will HATE waking up to go to school.

No comments: