Monday, August 17, 2009

Will Work for Outlet Malls

A couple of weeks ago, I did one of those 50 Things About Me. I really had fun doing it, and even contemplated expanding it to 75 Things. But I thought that might get a little long, and people might be like, “Uh Gail, really don’t care that you don’t care about which way the toilet paper hangs.” So my 50th thing about me was that I really really really want to be a stay-at-home mom. I am getting a little taste of it this week since I am on vacation. YAY!! This is probably one of the first vacations that I have taken a whole week off of work without going somewhere which requires spending a ton of money. I am at the lake, at my in-laws cottage, which is one mere hour from the outlet malls. (which, ironically, are a mere 45 minutes from my house) And when I woke up this morning and it was raining, I knew that I needed to go shopping, because Workaholic needs new work shirts. And he only likes Polo shirts. To wear to work. As a carpenter.

I’m not even going to pretend like I don’t like to shop. I will say that I am not a real big fan of spending money, but I do understand that in order to shop, you must spend money. And the outlet malls are PERFECT, since everything is on sale. And right now, there are BACK TO SCHOOL SALES. Which means even more money saved. YAY!! (My mother-in-law would tell you that I do have an issue with shopping, just look at Sam’s closet. I think sometimes she holds back buying her anything because she already has so much…and for this, I am genuinely sorry. Poor kid can’t even get spoiled by her Oma.)

Workaholic has to work part-time this week, half days until Wednesday. Which is great, because Sam didn’t wake up until almost 11am. (I was actually lying in bed, waiting for her to get up. Weird. Not bad, just weird.) So he has to pass by the aforementioned outlet malls on his way home, and I figured he could just meet me there; we’d eat lunch, and commence shopping. I promised myself that I would just hit the core stores, J Crew, Polo/Ralph Lauren, The Gap, maybe Carter’s for Samantha.

Usually, I take one of my best friends Dr. Nadene with me when we go to the outlet mall. She complements my shopping style perfectly; we cruise through stores at about the same speed, bounce ideas off of one another, and have the same mentality when it comes to whether something is on-sale enough. Which is to say that it is worth our hard-earned money. Today of course, I had Workaholic as a shopping partner. And he is not nearly as smart a partner as Dr. Nadene. Not even close.

Exhibit A: (this photo doesn't really do the pile justice, because that stack on the top left is at least 8 shirts. And the pile next to it is 4 more. And so on...)


We went to The Gap, Osh Kosh B’Gosh, Gap Kids, Nautica, Polo, Banana Republic, Aldo, Puma, Children’s Place, Gymboree, Coach, Tommy, Hanna Anderson, J Crew, Nine West, Carter’s, and others that I can’t even remember. I didn’t buy something at every store, just most of them. (Carter’s I had something in my hand, but when I realized that not only was there only one clerk, but she was training someone, and that the person they were checking out had, and I am not even kidding, 40 things, not even the first of which had been rung up when I got in line behind them-I knew I had to put my stuff back and leave. I can get better deals on Carter’s stuff at Penney’s anyways) I actually had to tell Workaholic no on certain things. “No, $40 for a Polo shirt is NOT a good deal.” ($20, on the other hand, is) We were there almost 6 hours, and Samantha was a shopping CHAMP. (She crashed on the way home.) Workaholic, too, was a champ. Then again, he LOVES to spend money, and understands that shopping is a necessary part of spending.


I tried hard to not spend frivolously, and feel pretty good that I bought stuff on sale, and good sales, stuff that Sam can wear next year. And Workaholic has 30 new shirts to wear to work (OK, maybe not 30, more like 12), and I don’t have new J Crew pants to wear because the stupid store didn’t have my stupid size. (such disappointment) But mom? Mother-in-law? Sam could still use some cute winter clothes, you know, if YOU feel like shopping. So much for this being a cheap vacation. Outlet malls...my reason for working.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

..Oh my goodness, I could not get past the part where you said Samantha slept until 11am!!!!!! How do you do it, Will was up by 4:30 this morning! And then I got to the part where she shopped for 6 hours! You are lucky!!!

Gail said...

Pretty much, I have the easiest kid ever. Make sure she is clean and fed, and when she gets fussy, put her to bed. Matt and I love to sleep...so I guess it's only natural she likes to too!

Pamela Gold said...

Okay, I HAD to comment about the toilet paper... which way do you hang it?

Pamela Gold said...

OH! And I'm jealous of all your shopping..... I need MONEY!