Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Twitter and the Joining of the Rest of the World

I am pretty slow to embrace new technololgy.

I am sure that the Mac is the best computer ever invented, but I don't want to learn how to use it, so I'll stick with my PCs.

I joined facebook about 2 years after I got my first invitation. I thought my friend Jennifer was nuts for joining that thing that was "only for college kids." I now constantly check it, if only out of boredom. And I think that anyone who I am close to in real life that doesn't have a facebook page is shit out of luck if they want to see pictures of my kids.

I got a smartphone only when it was required to work at home part-time. I do not know how I ever lived without it. Even if it can land the space shuttle, I don't know how to tell it to do that.

And now, people. I have joined Twitter. I still really don't understand it. But I am now a proud member.

This is how I think it works. You have your own Twitter page. And you pick people you like that you want to follow. And whenever those people "tweet", it shows up on your own Twitter page. In addition, if you have a smart phone, you can download an app that you just click on and you can look at all the wonderful twits that people have tweetered. Or something like that.

I think you can also get all of those tweets texted to you. But that could be a lot of texts. So I am not going that route.

I am going to try to put a little icon on my page somewhere telling you how to follow me on Twitter. Until then, I'll just tell you that my handle is @dogsarehome. I'll let you guess how I came up with that one.

I don't plan on doing anything spectacular on Twitter other than posting rambling tirades against people I hate. Oh wait...140 characters?? Crap. Maybe I'll just say hi every once in a while. To the 2 people who will follow me. Sounds fun, right??

1 comment:

Pamela Gold said...

You'll be hooked by the end of next month. I joined with reserve and now have hundreds of followers and join in weekly chats with like-minded people. Hashtags (#) are important on Twitter. Like for me, I use #PPD (for postpartum depression) in some of my tweets and it goes to a list of other people who use the same tag. You can find friends and followers with the same interests using hashtags. There are millions of them. Google it. I bet you can find one for getting a new dog, or one with that specific breed so you can get insider info!