Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dear Charlie, What I Have Learned

Dear Charlie,

Since your sister is out of town for a couple of days, I have learned a few things about you.

I've learned that when you are screaming when in the bathttub, it means that you don't want to be there. And you will do anything, I mean anything, to get out of it. I have also learned that you know how to throw yourself over the edge of the tub, which means landing on your head on the ceramic tile floor. 

I've learned that your pain tolerance has increased tenfold in the past couple of months.

I've learned that when you are quiet, it means that you are contemplating just how to get to the bottom of the stairs without going down backwards. Like we have taught you. I watched you ever so slowly lean forward and deliberately move your chubby little legs down to the next step without falling down. I was happy to see that you decided that was NOT the best way to go and went down the next two steps backwards. On your belly. Like we taught you. 

I've learned that you can cross the living room in about 3 seconds flat. To get to the stairs.

I've learned that you know that your sister's room is your sister's room, and you take every opportunity you can to mess with it.

I've learned that you really love ice. And that you will get what you want. (see above regarding the bathtub incident) In fact, your first steps were taken while on a boat ride. You were standing next to me, and you really wanted to get to the ice in the cooler. So you took 2 steps to get there. On a moving boat.

I've learned that you know a heck of a lot more than I think you do. Your babblings mean something. Especially the ma-ma-ma-ma-ma one. That means mama.

I've learned that you are a happy kid. I mean a really. happy. kid. You love sleep and walks and playing in your crib with dirty laundry and using the dogs as step stools. I think you just noticed Sampson today. You love him too.

I've learned that while you and your sister are for sure different kids, you are most definitely my kids. And I love you.

No comments: