Thursday, July 1, 2010

Writer's Workshop-Smile!

Write a list of 10 things that are sure to put a smile on your face when you are not happy.
I felt this was an especially appropriate prompt considering my mood lately. So here goes!!


10. Boat rides. Although lately, I have to admit, it’s been very difficult for me to get comfortable…so even though I really want to go, most of them time I really just want to get off and float in the lake.

9. Workaholic’s “duck voice.” He used to do it all the time when we were in college, but I don’t think I’ve heard it for years.

8. Strolling on Purdue’s campus…especially during nice weather. The flowers blooming, the bell tower chiming, the sound of the fountain…heaven.

7. Walking into Ross-Aid Stadium or Mackey Arena just before a football/basketball game. There is something magic about thousands of fans who all have one thing in common…love of Purdue. And with the band playing and the tingle of excitement in the air, there’s just nothing like it.

6. “Mr. Mom” by Lonestar. For some reason, hearing this song, even before I had Sam, chokes me up a little. It’s like, these guys get it. They know what moms go through. That it isn’t easy being us. I mean come on…how can you not smile when you hear this?
Well
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the fifteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr. Mom

Then there is the very last part of the song, where I know they get it.
Balancin' checkbooks, juggling bills
Thought there was nothing to it
Baby, now I know how you feel
What I don't know is how you doooo iiiit.

And then they say, "Honey, you're my hero." Sigh.

5. “I’m Alright” by Jo Dee Messina. This is a song I have loved for years. I have very specific memories of driving up the US 52 hill going into West Lafayette on a gorgeous football Saturday, and driving down Coral Springs Drive in Florida in the pouring rain…and each time, I smiled.

I’m all, I’m all, I’m alright. It’s a beautiful day, not a cloud in sight, so I guess I’m doin’ all right.

I mean, come on. How can those lyrics not make you stop and appreciate the day, even if it is pouring down rain??

4. The Fonz…when he does this and this.

3. When I go into Samantha’s room at night, and she is sound asleep with her blanket wrapped around her head. I’ve actually seen her do it!

2. Watching Workaholic play with Sam. He is just so good with her, and it is so apparent how much she loves him.

1. Seeing my baby girl giggle.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I found your blog via Mama Kat's. I love your list! My hubby use to make a "duck sound" too way back when ... I'd forgotten all about it -- now I'm smilin'

Diane said...

Stopping by from Mama Kat's. Great list! I love the Mr. Mom song too though I've not heard it in a really long time.

alison said...

I agree...there is nothing better than your child's laugh!!!