Friday, August 6, 2010

Who Am I?

Hello? Are you out there?? Yes, it' s me, I'm still here.

I'm still pregnant too.

For those of you keeping track, and even for those who don't care, I have 12 days until my due date. Which is August 19th. It's a Thursday.

Recently, I've had a lot of people ask me if I am ready to be done. My answer? Besides the obvious "Duh", (and by obvious, I mean by the pained look I have on my face due to the heavy weight hanging from the front of my body), my other answer has become, "I've been pregnant forever."

And I am serious. I mean, I'm no Michelle Dugger, but no kidding, I've been pregnant since Thanksgiving. Do you even remember what you did last Thanksgiving?? I do, but only because there are pictures.

People talk about me not being pregnant, and how I'll get to drink and do things that I can't do now. And I can't even imagine it at this point.

I'll be able to bend over without squishing a baby and being in pain?

I'll be able to sit on the floor and get up without falling over?

I'll be able to shave, and see what I am doing?

I'll be able to go up a flight of stairs without having to sit down afterwards?

Forget drinking, I'm just excited to be "normal" again. Although I really, seriously, in all honesty, don't remember what that is.

Am I still that same girl who used to go to the bar every weekend? Who used to have a few beers and sing the same song karoke? And think that I kick ass every time?

Am I that same girl who used to rollerblade on campus for an hour straight? Or who used to play in the water with my Fonz? Or who would go to agility class with him?

I barely remember doing those things. But I know I used to. And someday, somehow, I'll do them again. But give me a few weeks. Having a baby is no vacation, so even though I will be off of work for 13 weeks, I need to do some healing first. Well, I need to go into labor first, then heal. Then I'll think about rollerblading. It'll be the perfect weather. I can't wait.

2 comments:

mary said...

Gail, you obviously learned nothing from benefits...having a baby is a vacation. I feel your pain.

me said...

G - if you figure out how to be normal after two kids please let me know!! I need lessons!