Monday, April 28, 2008

Oh the exhaustion

I’m exhausted. My back hurts, I could barely get out of bed, and I was almost late to work. Yes, it’s only Monday. The reason is I spent the weekend with my in-laws and their friends. These people have more stamina than I did when I was in college. We went out Friday night, to the same pub that we always do, I sang my one karaoke song (for those of you who don’t know, it’s the Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels) (and yes, I was inebriated enough to scream into the microphone, “And I told you once you son of a bitch I’m the best that ever been!!") and we left once Joe the karaoke guy was finished. We have done this for several years, but over the past year or so, the evening after we leave the bar has changed. We used to go home, maybe sit in the hot tub for a little while, or eat a snack, drink a bottle of water and fall into bed. Now, everyone that we were with at the bar joins us for the hot tub and snacks, a Wii bowling tournament may commence, and I am lucky if a bottle of water is involved. The evening is extended by at least 2 hours, so going to bed before 3am is rare. Saturday, I have learned not to rise before noon. There is just no point. We lazed around all day, (watched Little Miss Sunshine…so cute)and decided to go to dinner with the same people from the night before.

When you go out to dinner with 10 people, it takes a while. So there is drinking while you wait for your table, drinking while you peruse the menu and eat your appetizers and wait for your dinner. There is drinking while you eat, and more while you wait for you bill and pay. If you are lucky, you make it home without your take-out box breaking and spilling food all over the back of the car. Once you get home, no matter how tired you are from the night before, inevitably your friends walk through the door with a case of Coors Light, and the laughing starts. A mean game of Left Right Center begins, and after a few games, I sigh and say “I wish I could win a game.” Everyone agrees, but once again, I lose. At which point I have to quit because I am broke and now have some gambling debts to pay off next week.

I did decide on one thing though. I think that I need to actually start taking care of my own yard. I am not quite sure how to go about this, as we do not own a lawn mower. But I am fairly certain that I can get one for 2 months worth of lawn care. It’s ridiculous to pay other people to do it when I am bored to tears during the week after work. Might as well get a little exercise, although don’t think for one minute I would buy something that wasn’t self-propelled. So thank you, my friends in Michigan, for motivating me to think about getting off my ass and mowing my own grass. You are such an inspiration!! (although I have to admit that my dad has been doing it for years, except for the years that he forced my sisters and I do mow the lawn. Let me also say that I can remember mowing the lawn exactly 3 times in my life at my parent’s house, and it took all day because I kept taking lemonade breaks because I chose the hottest day of the year to do it) (also let me say that I used to cut the grass at my first house, but it doesn’t count because it was a riding lawn mower, and also because I was too lazy to get off and move important things like wire cables, and then there was permanent damage done to the lawn mower that to this day I believe is still being used…bent blades and all)

So I’ll keep you updated on the lawn mower search. If anyone has any good suggestions, just leave them in the comments section. I want a push mower, self-propelled, and I don’t want to have to pick up grass when I am done. Pushing the mower is going to be enough work!

No comments: