Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!

Today is Mother’s Day. When I was a kid, I remember watching shows on TV, like, Growing Pains or something, and this huge deal was made out of Mother’s Day. Breakfast in bed, flowers, etc. In my house, we just didn’t make a big deal out of anything. I don’t even remember making a big deal out of it at school...making Mother’s Day gifts for mom. Looking back, I am sure that we did, they just weren’t that memorable. My dad always took off for Father’s Day, his annual fishing trip to Canada, so for years I never even got him a card, much less a gift. Really, getting out of the country, away from the house full of girls had to be enough of a gift.


In the past couple of years, I’ve learned to appreciate mom more and more. The poor woman is the defacto babysitter for all home football games, and a few basketball games. (not as easy as it sounds when you are talking about twins and an infant and a very active little boy) She prepares big meals for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas with little to no help from her ever-so-grateful children. Whenever she knows that we are coming into town, she makes sure that there is food for breakfast and dinner and lunch and that there is Coke and Oreos and milk in the house. And Nestle Quik. I also like to imagine that she makes sure the sheets and towels are clean.


And as much as she wants to pry into our lives, she won’t do it. She won’t tell us what she thinks that we should do next, but she’ll dole out the advice if asked. If there is even a chance that one of her daughters might move home to Lafayette, she tries so hard not to get her hopes up, but she can’t help but think of all the things she would get to do, like go to Grandparents Day at her grandkids school. And if it doesn’t work out, she won’t show her disappointment. (too much anyway) She loves her grandkids, driving farther than I think she ever would’ve driven for us kids to see sporting events!! Maybe it’s just easier now.



In short, she doesn’t say it much, but she really loves her family. Which should be a given. But when you think of all the little things that she does, it just makes you a little more grateful than usual on this day of the year that she is my mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Gail. That is the best Mother's Day gift I have ever received. I love you! Mom