Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Fonz

OK, so one thing that really bugs me about being pregnant is when everyone tells you how your life is going to change. Duh…I have eight nieces and nephews and too many cousins to count. I know that it is going to change my life; otherwise I wouldn’t have been hit by a truck when the little stick showed a plus sign.

But what really bugs me is when people tell me that my dog will become nothing to me after the baby is born. Obviously, I love my dog, as the title of my blog is Home Is Where the Dog Is. And obviously, I know that I will love my kid more than my dog. But I fully expect that while I am at home for three months on maternity leave, my Fonz will be by my side. When the child is sleeping soundly in my arms, (because it will never ever cry endlessly), he will be there for me to pet and reflect on how great my life is. When I am up at 3am feeding or changing diapers or walking the floorboards (because I am quite sure that my child will cry endlessly), he will be up with me, keeping an eye on me, reminding me that our life is still pretty great. When I nap, he will nap with me. It’s just the way he is.

Most people don’t understand the bond that Fonz and I have. He was there when I got my first job, and I had to leave him 12 hours a day, and I had my own house, which I bought all by myself. (he’s the reason I bought the stupid house in the first place!!) He was the only one there when Workaholic moved 1300 miles away and I was left all alone in a town with no friends or family. He was there with me on 9-11, when I watched hours of TV. He was there in Florida, when I didn't know a soul, but I went to a dog park and got a job from it. He was there after we moved home from Florida and Workaholic was here and I went to Purdue. (we kept ourselves busy by rollerblading on campus every day and running the trails at McCormick’s Woods) He was there while we were building our house and I didn’t have a “real” job. He was there when we got engaged (in fact, he’s an important reason why we got engaged that night), and he was there when we were planning our wedding, and he was there on our wedding day.


He’s a calming presence to me, a grounding reminder that there is more to life than just myself. (a wise friend of mine actually told me that he has been a good training tool for being a mother) He has been there for me when my friends were sick of hearing me cry, when my sisters were too far away and I thought loneliness would just take over my soul.

So don’t you dare tell me that he’ll mean nothing to me after this baby is born. My heart is big enough for the both of them. He will still lay like a king in front of the fireplace, he will still fly off the end of the pier like the champion dock dog that he is. And he will still have a very special place in my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, here! I've got my own Fonz and I totally get it! Actually, I have 3...but one in particular that has been through the up ups and down downs of the last decade. I hope you don't feel the need to state out loud that you will love your child more then your dog, they are two different beings in your world and you love them both. You don't have to rank your love for either one! People are stupid. God created everything in his image...just because we stand upright doesn't mean our shit don't stink. And let's all take a moment to spell God backwards for Christ's sake!! I think 8 nieces and nephews, or 11 going on 12 in my case + fostering sick, injured, unpotty trained, emaciated foster dogs, puppies two by two, etc. also makes you (and I) WAY more prepared for motherhood then anyone will ever give you (us) credit for. Have I mentioned people are stupid? Love you babe!