Sunday, September 7, 2008

Going Home

I know, I know…it’s been a long time since I’ve posted. I’m sorry, there just wasn’t much funny in my system, and not much in my life that I could talk about either. That all changed with a weekend to good ol’ Vincennes.

I love going down there, things are easy, (at least for visiting), I get to see my aunts and uncles and cousins, and usually get some good old hometown cooking, you know, the kind that clears you out.

We decided to stay at the new hotel in town…only open about 2 weeks! (oftentimes we crash with family, but it gets a little weird when the only time you call is to ask a favor, so I took advantage of my work connections to get a cheap room. Plus, farmers usually frown upon staying in bed until noon) I only saw one bug…which seems to be my mantra lately with hotels. I consistently drown the same bug in the toilet in every hotel that I stay in. But what I really fell in love with was the front desk rep, Chris. (fortunately, Chris didn't care what time we got out of bed)

For those of you who don’t know, Our Man Mitch, our dear govn’r, recently decided that no one in the world knows what time it is in Indiana. (It was real simple, we were on Chicago time in the summer and New York time in the winter. We had the best of both worlds…it didn’t get dark at 4pm in the winter and it didn’t stay light until 10:30pm in the summer, and there was no such thing as changing clocks.) But dear old Mitch changed all that. And now, I really don’t know what time it is in Indiana. Because most of Indiana is on Eastern time, but where I live is on Central. And when the change was made, so was Vincennes. I knew things had changed recently, but still wasn’t sure what time it was in Vincennes when we got there at 11:30pm my time on Friday night. I asked what I thought was a relatively simple question….What time zone are you in? His answer? “Uh, um, I don’t know, its 12:30, if that helps.” Yeah, dumbass, that helps, and by the way? You are on Eastern. After the whole debacle, the front page news, the petitions that went around, how can you not know what time zone you live in??? And you work in the hospitality industry??? Geez. Welcome to town.

The other not-surprising answer to a question that Chris didn’t know was if the hotel offered high-speed internet, and how much did it cost. I know, we threw him with 2 questions…but nowadays, free wireless internet is a standard in most small chain hotels. But you never know…so I asked. Answer…”Uh, yeah, um…I don’t know, no one has ever paid for it before.” Gee…thanks Chris.

I didn’t dare to ask him to settle my bill, and thankfully everyone else was perfectly wonderful and competent, and the breakfast was just as good as the commercials say they are. It was a great stay…I just hope I don’t have to talk to Chris again!


Tomorrow...more on "home"!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello There We all sure did miss you at the lake this weekend. There were new sheep at the lake this weekend Bobby now is the proud owner of his very own sheep with a really great smile on it. This came from our very own Laura picture that one yes your laughing right now you know what I mean. Great times at the lake we missed you both.