Friday, September 26, 2008

Taco Hell

I am not a huge fan of Mexican food (this actually extends to most anything non-American, especially if I am in another country. I swear I had to have lost 10lbs when I went to Switzerland last year!!)…although I don’t mind actual, authentic Mexican food. (as long as is it served in a restaurant in the good ‘ol USofA) But there was one time, just once, when I’d had a terrible day at work and Workaholic wasn’t going to be home anytime soon, that I decided to whip my car into the Taco Bell drive thru. (yes, I know that Taco Bell isn’t even close to Mexican, but it’s in the same food group)

You have to understand that I was a cashier for years at a fast paced restaurant. (actually, it’s all relative because I am fairly certain that the average age of our customers was about 85). Anyway, this led me to be one of “those people” who will give you a penny if your total requires getting back 4 cents just so I can get the nickel. I hate pennies. You can’t do anything with them except put them in a jar and say, “Ooo…look at how many pennies I have.” Anyway, I digress.

So on this particular day, my total came to $3.74. (yes, I was feasting at the Taco Bell) I gave the English-is-not-my-first-language boy at the drive thru $5.04. Which should mean that I got back a dollar and 30 cents. You know, get rid of 4 pieces of change and only get 2 back. It’s a win-win. But he stared at the drawer, and the screen, and back at the drawer, and I am watching him, thinking to myself, “Self, I don’t think he can make the change.” But I refrained from helping him, because really, a high-schooler should be able to make change, whether or not he has graduated. You know what I got back??? A dollar and twenty-nine cents. As in NINE FREAKING PENNIES. This was not supposed to happen. I was supposed to just get my little change and drive on to the next window and grab my food and go home, and watch TV and cuddle with my Fonz.

So what did I do? I'll tell you what I did. I told him, “You gave me the wrong change.” I was so stunned by the fact that the dumb kid working the drive thru at Taco Bell couldn’t make change; it was all I could think of to say.


His response? “That’s what the computer said.”

WHAT??? That’s your answer??? Seriously???

He could tell that I was angry at his incompetence, and I actually said, “Well, well…your computer is stupid!!” And then drove on to get my food…which by this point I am sure that someone had seen the previous exchange and promptly spit in my Mountain Dew.

The best part? I actually started crying on the way home. Crying. As in real tears. I don’t know why, but My Parents Are Illegal Immigrants But I am Legal Boy just upset me so much, because he thought I, the accountant, was the dumb one!! Needless to say, I haven’t eaten any Taco Bell since.

(and in case you are wondering, no, this did not happen recently, so I was NOT pregnant, just had a bad day. I'd like to thank my friend at work for reminding me of this wonderful incident)

No comments: