Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Cleaning...A List is Made

Last weekend was one of those weekends that just makes you long for summer. And it also was one of those weekends that makes me really happy that I don’t have to stay home every single weekend during the summer. By Sunday night, I was pacing the floor waiting for Workaholic to get home. He’d been working all weekend, which I knew was going to happen, and I chose to stay home, because I am lazy and didn’t feel like packing or driving. I also had kidded myself into thinking that I’d go to church on Sunday, which of course, did not happen. I knew that I had another closet of clothes to go through and put away due to my every-expanding belly, and a couple of containers of maternity clothes that also could be brought out, but that is no fun. I didn’t want to do that.

In my pacing, I started to notice things about the house which I’ve always seen, but they never really bothered me. And they started to bother me. Workaholic made the comment the other day that it seems like I just think of things for him to do when he is sitting still. So I tried to refrain from making a list, but I’m now at work, and I can’t stop thinking of these things. The paint touch-ups, that light bulbs that need to be changed, the drywall tape that popped, the little blue foam pads that they put underneath furniture when they clean your carpet, and don’t get me started on the landscaping!! AAHHH THE LANDSCAPING!! We’ve let it go for a couple of years, and now an overhaul is needed. And I am pretty sure I am not going to be able to get my mom up here to go on a planting spree. And the garage, the garage!!…Sauna anyone?

Many of these things might not bother me if we weren’t trying to sell the house. Our house, at first glance, is perfectly presentable. But when you look a little closer, there are just THINGS that should be done. And there is a certain amount of staging that needs to happen, and I know that is my responsibility. Many of the pictures that we have around the house are going to get packed up, except the ones on the walls. Those are staying. Because I don’t have anything to replace them, and even though “they” say that you shouldn’t have pictures of yourself all over the place because then people can’t imagine themselves living there, I am fairly certain that pictures of my cute kid and good-looking siblings are better than a nail sticking out of the wall. (No, we’re not conceited, why do you ask?)

I am making a list, because I am a big fan of lists. We’ll see if anything actually gets crossed off of the list. I have one for me, and a much, much longer one for Workaholic. And believe it or not, nothing on the list is related to “getting ready for baby.” I’m just not there yet. I’ll start to panic around August, which is when I am due, and if karma works out, probably when we’ll sell the house. Keep your fingers crossed! In the meantime, I hope that summer hurries up and gets here. I’m ready.

No comments: