Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wedding Tips That Everyone Should Know

Over the past few months, a couple of people I know have gotten engaged. This is a little weird only because most of my friends are already married, or married and divorced. I've thought a lot about weddings and what I would do different, and so I have a few invaluable wedding tips for any newly engaged couple out there. 

I would venture to say that some of these "tips" are things that most people won't tell you. Because they don't want to hurt your feelings. I have no fear of hurting people's feelings because I generally notice that no one takes my advice. That doesn't stop me from dishing it out though. 

My main tip would be, DON'T be a bridezilla. Nothing is so important as to piss off your future spouse or parents or in-laws. Try to be considerate, this is your family, after all. Also...
  • Don't get married in June, July, or August. If you insist on nice weather, do May, September, or October. Why, you ask? The summer is just way too busy for most people. You included. I know you are excited to get married and all, but if it is a perfectly gorgeous day, without a cloud in the sky and it is 85 degrees outside, you will kicking yourself that you can't be in a bathing suit. And ladies? Those dresses are fucking hot. No other way to look at it. At least you get to have bare arms...the poor guys are wearing 2 layers of long sleeves!
  • Spend money on kick-ass reception entertainment. Because even if your food sucks or your reception is in a barn, everyone will remember how much fun they had dancing the night away.
  • Try not to get caught up in the minute details of flowers and how your bridesmaids wear their hair. Trust me, you won't even see the flowers, and let the girls do their hair however it looks best on them. Don't need everyone talking about the pretty sister with the 80s hair-do.
  • Speaking of attendants, keep it to a minimum. I am talking siblings ONLY. Inform your friends that they are required at all bachlorette parties and bridal showers, but you aren't forcing them to spend a ton of money on dresses and shoes that they will never wear again. (trust me, they will thank you for this.) This is a plus for you because it is less for you to manage on your big day, and you will save money not buying THEM gifts. If they are true friends, they will be there for everything and still be your friend after the wedding.
  • Another tip is to hire a wedding planner. Yes, I am recommending spending money on a wedding planner. That way, you don't have to delegate tiny details to people who would rather enjoy the day with you, and there is someone to handle the tiny details. You can use this person as much or as little as you'd like. But at a bare minimum, they need to be there the day before and the day of the wedding and know everything that you want. In detail. So you can then forget about the details that you won't notice anyway.
  • DO think of the little details that will make the day more enjoyable for your guests. Have a lot of people coming in from out-of-town? Put together a little welcome packet to be given to them at the hotel. Expect the party to continue after the reception? Arrange for transportation to the preferred bar. Yes, some things cost a little extra, but it is those same things that people will remember for years to come.
  • Elope. Yep. If you can stomach the thought of not having the big wedding, and kind of like the idea of getting married on the beach or on top of a mountain, DO IT.
I am sure that I've got more ideas mulling around my head, but since it has been almost 5 years since I did it myself, I forget them. Lots has happened since 2006, and planning a wedding is kind of one of those events that you stress so much about, you forget the pain of it afterwards. Or maybe it was the open bar at my wedding...

1 comment:

Amber Page Writes said...

If I had to do it again, I'd be tempted to elope. Although my wedding was pretty kick ass...mostly because the band was pretty much the most expensive part.