Friday, April 15, 2011

He Really Does Exist

One of my facebook friends is in the Cayman Islands this week. And he has been posting all kinds of wonderful things like, :"HEAVEN" and "Just got back to my room and there were 4 beers waiting for me on ice" and "I so needed this vacation". (like the rest of us don't need one!) Anyway, most of the time when I have been reading his posts I resist the urge to reach through my computer screen and wring his now-well-tanned neck, because I am sure that he really DID need the vacation and I shouldn't take my stress out on an ex-boyfriend who likes to gloat on facebook about how he is in the lap of luxury, and really maybe I should just go and get a massage.

My point it, one of his posts was this picture, accompanied by him saying, "I DARE you to tell me God doesn't exist."

The whole God existing question is not even a presence in my mind, I know He does and that is just that. But every once in a while, He likes to remind me.

Shortly after I had Samantha, I wrote this post.  I hadn't been getting much sleep since she was born, and I got 8 hours right when I needed it. And then, at 7 1/2 weeks, Sam started sleeping through the night. Had she gone any longer, I don't know how much more I would have been able to take. I need my sleep, otherwise I might get all crazy on my kid. So God made her sleep and she has been a sleeping champ ever since.

Last weekend, I got a new puppy. His name is Kale and he is 9 weeks old. And guess what? He doesn't sleep through the night. I have to get up and let him out once. But the weird thing? Charlie was sporadically waking at night, usually around 3:30am, pissed off at something. I never would pick her up, usually just pop the pacifier back in her mouth or cover her up or roll her from her stomach to her back since she refuses to do that herself. But still...I was randomly getting up at 3:30 am.

And now? Charlie is sleeping through the night. So I don't have to get up with her at 3:30am, and then with Kale whenever he decides that he has to pee. (And then NOT want to go back to sleep.)

Also? Charlie always got up before 7am. Always. She would wake up in a great fucking mood and I would have to get up, change her diaper, feed her, and then usually start my day. But now, my day starts at 6am anyway, because a certain 9 week old Flat Coat wants to get up at that time. But Charlie? Has now decided to sleep in until almost 8am. Which. Is. Awesome. 

Because that way, I can take the dogs for a walk, and feed them, and then take them back outside without having to worry about Charlie. I don't worry that she'll get up while I am gone, she gives me the time to take care of the pups and the cat and shower and get ready. Then she wakes up. It is kind of awesome.

Now, I am not even going to pretend that my children have some sort of super power that tells them how to help their mom out when she really needs it. And while I do think there is such a thing as luck, and karma, but I would much rather chalk it up to the fact that God does really exist. And the proof is in that He has made it possible for me to have this new puppy and not lose my mind. And for that, I'll thank Him in my prayers every night.

No comments: