Thursday, November 13, 2008

Deep Thoughts, and other such Tidbits

Every once in a great while, someone will comment to me that I haven’t updated my blog in a while…which just shows how many many people I have that read it. Seriously, I guess I had a very busy month of October, and November isn’t shaping up to be much better. But it will. So I have time now, and I sit down to blog….and I am coming up short. Way short. I can’t think of anything interesting to say! How about I just ramble?

With Al Franken running for Senate in Minnesota, every time I see him, I think of “Deep Thoughts with Jack Handey”. Which makes absolutely no sense, because Al Franken played the character Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live, and “Deep Thoughts” was usually introduced by Phil Hartman. Anyway, I digress.

When I was a freshman in college, I had this brilliant idea to use “Deep Thoughts” instead of a normal voicemail. But the problem was that I liked to make up my own deep thoughts, and I ran out of ideas after about 3 weeks. And then I just left the last one on my voicemail for about 4 months. The only one that I can remember went something like this… “When leaves fall off of trees, where do they go?” Yeah, I was dumb. And really original…because there is a Deep Thought that goes like this… “If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” Now that I have such easy access to the internet, I wish that I could leave a deep thought on my answering machine every week. Maybe I’ll do it here. This one seems especially appropriate.

“Sometimes I think that the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, Aw, who cares? And then I think, What’s for dinner?”

Or this one.

“If you ever feel like you’re on the verge of a nervous breakdown, just follow these rules: First, calm down; second, come over and wash my car; third, shine all my shoes. See, don’t you feel better?”

I am eating my third Blow Pop in three days. They are delicious. At this point, I don’t care that I am rotting my teeth and turning my child on to the wonderfulness of things like Blow Pops, Girl Scout Cookies and milk, chocolate milk, DiGiorno pepperoni pizza, powdered donuts, chocolate donuts (with milk, of course) and Coke. This kid is sitting in a vat of sugar at this point, so good luck to me once it’s born!!

No comments: