Monday, January 5, 2009

A Late Update

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe in the phrase “Why wait until tomorrow to do what you can do today?”, and those who think that statement is crap. I mean, sure, it sort of makes sense. But why do today what you can put off until tomorrow…so you can do something more fun today???

To say that I am a procrastinator would be an understatement. I am shocked that I made it through college, because I never understood the point of doing homework in a timely manner, or studying for exams too much ahead of time (because I probably would forget everything anyway) (and I actually got a decent GPA in college too!!)

To say that Workaholic is a procrastinator would be the understatement of the century. He worked so much in college, he had to take a class twice because he never got around to doing the necessary work to pass the first time. (in his defense, he was .25% short of passing…the professor wasn’t much for leniency) (and it wasn’t even that he had to work, he just liked to. He said that it made him manage his time more efficiently-ha!!) I remember more than one all-nighter at the end of a semester finishing up a project that most students took 4 months to do, he would complete in 1 night. And now he is finishing up a side job right now that the woman asked him to do a year and a half ago.

The reason for the rush to finish the side job is because I am due tomorrow. As in, less than 2 hours. And I can promise you, tomorrow will come and go, and there will be no baby. I went to the doctor today, after being up all night with “contractions”, positive that I had to be effaced and dilated and would be in the hospital as I type now. And you know what he said?? With a smirk on his face??? That there was nothing going on down there. NOTHING. (I don’t think that he was being mean…turns out he had to have the exact same conversation 2 appointments in a row) This is how I felt after the doctor took his hands out from between my legs and broke the news...

So throughout my pregnancy, I’ve said that I would be late, and that if I didn’t have the baby by the 6th I wanted to be in the hospital on the 7th. Now, after talking to my doctor, he wants me to wait until Monday-ish. I go back on Thursday to get re-checked (and yes…that is exactly what it sounds like…aka, I get violated) and to take a non-stress test, to make sure the baby is OK. I’m still having these “practice contractions”, which sucks because they hurt!!

After getting over the initial shock that the discomfort (aka pain) that I had been enduring for the past 12 hours was for nothing, I decided that it was OK. Because we’re such procrastinators, there are several things to do around the house that probably should get done before the baby makes its appearance. Not fun things, (although one of them may just be cleaning out my DVR of all the Dirty Sexy Money’s I’ve recorded since the season started). And Workaholic still has lots of work to do…so he’ll never finish, but he’ll feel better the more he gets done.

So in short, my back still hurts, I still have cramps, the kitchen is still not organized, the memory card in the camera is still full, and there are still 9 Dirty Sexy Monday episodes to be watched. And I still haven’t moved my crap from the bathroom on the main floor of our house to the upstairs bathroom of our house. Which means that if you are looking in our windows after I shower, you can see me run naked through my house. So that the kid is going to be late making it's appearance really shouldn't surprise us. What’s the rush? Why do it today when you can do it tomorrow?? (or, you know, next week?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny...seriously though the baby will be here soon enough and although it will be wonderful, you will miss the days that you could watch Dirty Sexy Money all day. Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Bobby said well I gues it really is Matts Baby and not his. Dead line was 12 pm on Jan 5th. We miss you both and can not wait to meet Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!