Monday, March 14, 2011

Frustration and Peace

I know by now that every mom has "one of those days."

It is inevitable. Your husband drives you to drink, your kids have you pulling your hair out, and the dog makes you yell. Or any combination of the three.

Since about Friday, my neck has been bothering me. It is a constant ache, and the only way I can get comfortable is if I am laying on my back with my head on a nice, cushy pillow. I've had a steady diet of naproxen and ibuprofen the past few days, which does little. I'm making an appointment with a masseuse tomorrow. Damn those salons for closing on Mondays!!

Anyway, the ache in my neck has made my usually moderate temper short. When Sam is insistent that she "helps" to feed Charlie, I get frustrated very easily. When Fonz comes begging for attention anytime I sit on the floor (like to pick up the pictures that Sam has strewn all over her room), I sort of lose it. When Charlie just wants to be held, (poor kid), I just tried to put her to bed. Let the mobile entertain her for a while.

No one ever said that being a mom is easy. In fact, most say that it is the hardest job that they have ever had to do. Labor and delivery is just the beginning! The mind games, the guilt factor, the life change, everything picks at your self-esteem and self-worth and sanity until you feel like the world is spinning out of control.

Fortunately for me, the times when I feel truly overwhelmed are few and far in between. And then I vent on facebook or Twitter or here. And then the kids go to bed, and I pet my dog and my cat and bring down my blood pressure. (Then the guilt for yelling kicks in...but hey, we are all human.) I have help...a LOT of help. K (the girls' caregiver) is home from vacation, I have a massage to look forward to, and spring is just around the corner. Life is looking up, I just need to remember that in THOSE moments.

Thanks to Amber for writing this post this morning.

1 comment:

TILTE said...

am i crazy naive (see: dumb) for being excited about having kids one day and ONLY being concerned with the whole delivery (see: nightmare) that's involved...?